Saturday, November 3, 2012

August 30, 2012, Road trip to Wyoming


We weren't in a great rush to get to the funeral we had to go to in my home town of Evanston, Wyoming, we had plenty of time.  Rather than take the freeway all the way we decided to take some secondary roads we had never traveled before to there.  The reason for the journey was a sad one but the trip itself was good.

I wish I could tell you where this ghost homestead is.  Honestly I don't know.  Somewhere on Colorado 318 between Craig and the Utah border.  It was just kinda there.  We had to stop and take a look at it even though we didn't know what it was we were looking at.  We didn't have a map that said anything about it so I suppose it is just another place in the world that has lost its value and identity.  Sad how that happens.  Dreams come and then they go just as quickly.




Montana calls itself the Big Sky Country.  That always bothered me some.  I don't think they had ever seen Wyoming when they came up with that slogan for Montana.  Sure, Montana is a beautiful state, I know that because I lived there for several months before I was drafted but when it comes to the sky Wyoming has the lead. 

Have you ever been somewhere where you could stand on the ground and see the curvature of the earth?  Somewhere where you could see the clouds meet the horizon? A lot of people I have talked to over the years complain about driving across the plains of Wyoming.  They say things like "It's boring, there's nothing to see".  They're missing the beauty.  Too bad for them.






,

No comments:

Post a Comment