Friday, January 4, 2013

September 24 2013, Canyonlands Utah


This is another one of those posts that maybe doesn't belong in a blog about the Samurai.  This trip to the back country has nothing to do with the Sammi. 

I wanted to add this entry though because we went down here this year and by this time next year I hope to be able to say I did the same trip with the Samurai.  There were four of us on this trip and since we wanted to explore Canyonlands together there simply wasn't room in the Sammi.  It doesn't have a back seat, I removed that right after I purchased it.  We rented a Jeep (OMG!)



If you have never been to southern Utah it is a place you simply have to go. 

I know there are a lot of beautiful places in the world but having seen many of them I have to say that the three favorite places I had ten, even twenty, years ago are still my three favorite places: 
  • The Pacific Coast Highway along the California coast between Monterey and San Luis Obispo,
  • The million dollar highway between Silverton to Ouray Colorado,
  • Southern Utah.
I'm not really a church going man.  You don't see me in church often except for an occasional wedding or funeral and maybe a couple times a years at Easter or Christmas.  To me celebrating God is visiting his work in places like Canyonlands, Utah.  Truly magnificent.  And the best way to experience his work it is to totally emerse yourself in it and you can't do that by standing on the edge looking down.  You have to go down into it.

The Green River merges with the Colorado at the bottom of the canyon many, many miles before the Colorado goes on to the Grand Canyon where over the centuries it has carved out some of the most wonderful geological beauty that exists anywhere in the world.




This is Pamela (Rosebud) and Margo, her childhood friend from the Netherlands looking out over the expanse.


 

The road you see at the bottom is the road we traveled.
 



That's Ed out there on that rock bridge.  He's probably 400 feet above the canyon floor.


 














More from Canyonlands with Ed and Margo: Canyonlands


(Note for my bucket list:  Spend two weeks camping alone at the bottom of this canyon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment