Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sept 4, 2011, Red Cone Colorado

As I'm sure you can tell I'm in catch up mode.  Trying to back post some travel experiences.

This one probably shouldn't be here in the first place.  The blog is "Travels with Sammi" and I didn't even have the Samurai with me on this trip but the experience was well worth sharing.

My son Jordan invited me to take one of his ATVs and join him on a trail he was interested in.  Wow what a ride.  According to the Colorado trail guide books (specifically Colorado Backroads & 4-wheel-Drive Trails by Charles Wells & Matt Peterson) this is considered a RED trail meaning 'Difficult'....  Yup it is.

We started on the highway 285 side by Grant Colorado.  The first part of the trail is not bad at all.  Beautiful scenery, not too bad roads but OMG that last little stretch!!

Have you ever found yourself on a 45 degree decline crawling down hill?  If you hit the rear brakes even a little the back end doesn't stop it simply slips to the side?  I'm not exagerating.  At one point coming down from the top I found myself exactly at 90 degrees to the trail because the backend had slipped around on the roller-bearing stones that ARE the trail.  My son was ahead of me and tells me he glanced back just as I did that and quickly looked away.  I guess he didn't want to see his old man go over the cliff.

The book I mentioned above says:  "The thing you'll remember most about this trail is the extremely steep descent at the end.  Although scenery is breathtaking at the top, you may be a bit preoccupied to enjoy it".

I didn't read that part before I agreed to go....  Guess I should have.

Its quite a ride to the top.

There was a family of mountain goats up there waiting for us.

You'd think they would find a more hospitable place to live.  But I guess they call this home.

That's my son Jordan and the goats are looking for food.

Great ride!  But like I said maybe it doesn't really belong in "Travels with Sammi" since the Samurai wasn't even with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment