Thursday, August 9, 2012

July 2011, The first outing with the Sammi

It was somewhere around the first of July 2011 when I first took the Sammi out for a real test drive. I had driven her around town and on short small excursions but her first real test was up Guenella pass to Waldorf not too far from where I live.
I went out with some family members who all had ATVs. Everyone but me. I had the Sammi.
I always joked that I couldn't afford a fancy Jeep or a fancy ATV so I had my $400 Samurai. Actually not to far from the truth.....
She did pretty darned good to be honest. At least I kept up with everyone even if they were holding back so I could.
We didn't get all the way up to the top. We ran into snow that stopped us from continuing.  That's the way it is in Colorado, some places you run into snow all the way through July then it is clear in August and starts snowing again as early as September.
We did make up through Waldorf to the Santiago silver mine. It sure makes you wonder how those old timers managed to live. Life must have been brutal when they were actually working that place.  What a wonder it would be if you could just borrow someone's time machine and go back and take a look.


Santiago silver mine



Me in the Sammi


Almost to the top

The end of the road

No comments:

Post a Comment